2. What documents should be submitted in support of my application for Permanent Residence in Canada?

Author: Johnson Varughese |

That depends upon the category of Canadian Immigration under which you are applying.
Under the Skilled Worker category of Canadian immigration, Express Entry candidates who receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) are currently required to submit the following supporting documents along with their application:

  • Valid passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Language test results
  • Documentation attesting to work experience
  • Police clearance certificate(s)
  • Upfront medical receipt
  • Photographs of principal applicant and family members

Depending on the program under which a candidate was issued an ITA and the information provided in his or her Express Entry profile, the following documentation may be required:

  • Canadian Education Credential OR Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)
  • Letter of attestation
  • Official transcripts of post-secondary education study program courses taken
  • Secondary education documents
  • Original letter from a Canadian employer indicating an offer of arranged employment
  • Proof of family relationship(s) in Canada
  • Proof of settlement funds
  • Legal documents showing changes in name or date of birth
  • Marriage certificate(s)
  • Signed Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union and documents attesting to cohabitation for a period of at least 12 months
  • Divorce or annulment certificate(s)
  • Death certificate(s) for former spouse(s) or common-law partner(s)
  • Children’s birth certificates
  • Adoption papers
  • Proof of full custody for children
  • Travel documents (non-passport)
  • Certified copy of a certificate of qualification in a skilled trade occupation issued by a Canadian provincial/territorial authority
  • Copies of work contracts and/or pay stubs
  • Documents relating to income taxation

Under the Family Sponsorship category of Canadian immigration, supporting documents usually include evidence of civil status, the genuine nature of the relationship between the parties, and the ability to commit to an undertaking of support.
Under the Provincial Nominee Program of Canadian immigration, or if you are intending to reside in the Province of Quebec, you will have to submit forms and documents as per the province's specific requirements.
Under all categories of Canadian Immigration, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC, formerly CIC) requires police clearance certificates from all countries that you have resided in for more than six months since your 18th birthday.
Canadian Immigration Visa Offices may, in addition, have specific requirements regarding supporting documentation. It is advisable to seek expert guidance or instructions from the Canadian Immigration Visa Office to which your application will be submitted.

Read More Blog Articles