20. What is custodianship? Can a minor child study in Canada if he or she is under the age of majority?

Author: Johnson Varughese |

The age of majority is different in each province and territory, although it is usually 18 or 19 years of age. Anyone under the age of majority is considered to be a minor.

Unaccompanied minors wishing to obtain a study permit must appoint a custodian who will care for and support them while in Canada. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) requires a notarized declaration, which has been signed by the minor's parents in the country of origin and the custodian in Canada.

A custodian can be a family member, trusted friend or member of the institution which the minor is attending. For more information about finding a custodian, please contact the international student office of the institution where the minor child plans to study.

Read More Blog Articles