1. What is the procedure to study in Canada?

Author: Johnson Varughese |

In order to study and remain in Canada for a period of six months or longer, the first step is to get admission to a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI) recognized by the government of Canada. Only designated institutions can be used to support a study permit application. Once an individual receives a letter of acceptance from a DLI, he or she may be able to apply for a study permit. Applications may be made online or by mail, from outside of Canada.

All new study permits are issued at a Canadian port of entry. An applicant who has submitted an application to a foreign Canadian Visa Office will be issued a letter of approval advising him or her to travel to a Canadian port of entry to have the study permit issued in his or her passport. A study permit should be issued for the duration of the person's studies.

Applicants from countries requiring a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) must submit their passports along with their study permit application to a Canadian Visa Office abroad. A TRV will be issued in the passport to allow such applicants to travel to Canada to have their study permits issued at a Canadian port of entry.

Read More Blog Articles