15. If a student changes institution, is a new study permit required?

Author: Johnson Varughese |

Most post-secondary students may change their learning institution, program, and/or field of study without needing to apply for a new study permit. The same applies for post-secondary students changing their level of study (i.e. from a bachelor's to master's program). Please check the conditions listed on the study permit to verify whether the study permit restricts the holder to studying at a particular institution or program.

If a student transfers to a school, college, or university in Quebec, he or she will need to apply for a CAQ and, if necessary, a new study permit.

Primary students who are entering high school, as well as high school students who will move on to post-secondary education, must apply to modify their study permit. Students who are changing learning institutions must inform IRCC of their institution changes.

Read More Blog Articles