37. Is Express Entry the only way for an international worker to live and work in Canada?

Author: Johnson Varughese |

No. Express Entry facilitates the processing of economic immigrants for Canadian permanent residence. There are, however, a number of other ways of moving to Canada, both permanent and temporary.

  • Only a portion of the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) will be processed through Express Entry. Other PNP candidates will be able to apply to these programs directly if they are eligible under the requirements, which are based on local and regional labour market needs. Most PNP streams require the candidate to secure a valid job offer before immigrating to Canada, but there are some exceptions. Successful candidates will land in Canada as permanent residents.
  • Candidates for certain employment opportunities in Canada may arrive as temporary foreign workers. In most cases, this will require the processing of a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
  • There are several instances where an employer may be exempt from the requirement to secure an LMIA. Some countries have established international exchange programs with Canada, with candidates typically needing to be younger than 30 or 35, depending on nationality. Successful applicants receive a temporary open work permit.
  • Coming to Canada to study is a popular option for those who wish to continue their education at one of Canada's many renowned schools. On completion of the studies, some provinces facilitate the option for the graduate to apply for permanent residence under a PNP or, in the case of Quebec, the PEQ (programme de l'experience quebecoise). Another option for graduates wishing to remain in Canada after completing their studies is to obtain a postgraduate work permit and ultimately apply for permanent residence.

Read More Blog Articles