Author: Johnson Varughese |

Blog by Life Ashore Immigration Consultancy Inc.

Attention Hong Kong Residents!


  • Temporary Public Policy Effective February 8, 2021 till February 7, 2023
  • Open work permit for upto 3 years to Visitors, recent graduates, Spouse/ Dependent Children 18 years or older;
  • Fee Waivers
  • Priority processing for PR, ETA, Study Permits, Work Permits and more

Guidance for special measures to support Hong Kong residents to come to Canada

This Policy is to provide temporary & permanent measures for Hongkong youth and facilitate family reunification)

I. Eligibility:

The following clients may be eligible as a principal applicant or an accompanying dependent:

  • Hong Kong Residents
    (hold a passport issued by - the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China; or issued by the United Kingdom to a British National (Overseas), as a person born, naturalized or registered in Hong Kong)
  • Immediate Family Member
    (Spouse/CLP, Dependent child yours or of Spouse/CLP, Dependent grandchild, yours & your spouse-parents/stepparents, guardians)
  • Extended Family Members
    (an individual of 18 yrs / above in an exclusive dating relationship (physical presence) with adult for at least 1-year, Dependent child of person in exclusive dating relationship, grandchild, sibling, half sibling/step sibling of person/ spouse/CLP, grandparent of person/spouse/CLP)
    Of Canadian citizens/ regd Indian/PR/ Protected persons living in Hongkong regardless of nationality)
  • Immediate family members who will be studying/working in Canada

II. Fees Waiver

  • HKSAR and BNO (Hong Kong) passport holders-Temporary residents in Canada may have their fees waived under these special measures if they are applying for an extension of authorization to remain in Canada as a TR/Worker/Student;
  • All foreign nationals applying for an open work permit under a public policy are exempt from the open work permit holder fee

III. General

  • Holders of HKSAR passports are visa exempt -apply for eTA
  • As of February 8, 2021, foreign nationals who hold either a HKSAR or BNO passport are eligible to apply for an open work permit under a 2-year temporary resident public policy exempting them from certain regulation requirements.
  • Online submission-Work permit applications. Applicants can be residing in Canada or overseas but cannot apply at a port of entry…eligible spouses/CLP/dependent children-apply for a study or work permit, as appropriate.
  • Canadian permanent residents residing in Hong Kong who require a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) will have their paper applications prioritized at IRCC Hong Kong.

IV. Eligibility for open work permits


  • The applicant must hold either :
    a degree (for example, bachelor, master, doctorate) from a DLI in Canada/ an equivalent educational credential earned abroad, or
    diploma from a post-secondary DLI or the equivalent credential from an overseas institution along with an educational credential assessment (ECA) report
    (have graduated no more than 5 years before you apply for this open work permit)
  • The program of study must be at least 2 years in duration.
  • Validity of ECA 5 years preceding application submission


Applicants applying for an open work permit under the public policy -select in the online application tool that they are “Applying for a work permit under an active public policy or special measure announced by IRCC” for them to trigger the open work permit results.

Mandatory documents

  • Copy of educational credential, transcripts or proof of enrolment at a post-secondary educational institution
  • Copy of HKSAR or BNO passport
  • Family Information form [IMM 5707]
  • CV or resume
  • Digital photo
  • PCC

“Not applicable” documents

  • Employment reference letter
  • Letter from current employer
  • Employment records
  • Employment contract


HKSAR and BNO passport holders already in Canada -eligible to either extend their stay or apply for their initial open work permit from within Canada under the public policy without a copy of CV

V. IRPR Exemptions

  • Hong Kong residents in Canada as visitors are eligible to apply for an open work permit under the public policy.
  • Hong Kong residents are not prohibited from being issued a work permit- if they have engaged in unauthorized work or study in Canada or have failed to comply with the conditions of a previous permit or authorization, unless they engaged in unauthorized work for an employer

VI. Spouses or common-law partners and dependent children

  • An open work permit may be issued, under LMIA exemption code R01, to the spouse or common-law partner if the principal application is approved for a work permit under the public policy.
  • Dependent children 18 years of age/ older- eligible to apply for an open work permit.
  • Minor children -apply for a study permit under existing study permit streams or may study without one at the K–12 level, if they are already in Canada and both parents are not visitors.


Hong Kong youth will not be able to enter Canada unless they have:

  • a valid port of entry letter of introduction
  • a valid job offer, which includes a written note from an employer in Canada that says
    • their business is continuing to operate (whether essential or not)
    • they will start work after the 14-day mandatory quarantine
  • proof of adequate health-care coverage

Applications in progress will not be closed or refused for lack of documentation or inability to complete the application process in time (biometrics/ medical exam)

Permanent residence

Permanent residence applications from family members should be prioritized where feasible. However, in some circumstances, the most expeditious option for these clients may be to apply for an eTA or TRV.

How do I get priority processing if I’m a resident of Hong Kong?

Priority processing is one of the measures available to residents of Hong Kong. You can get priority processing if you’re applying for one of the following:

  • Canadian passport
  • PRTD
  • visitor visa
  • electronic travel authorization
  • work permit, including open work permit for Hong Kong recent graduates
  • study permit
  • family sponsorship

All other applicants who are residents of Hong Kong

If you’re applying online, you don’t need to do anything to get priority processing. It will happen automatically.

If you’re applying on paper, write “URGENT – HONG KONG PRIORITY” on the envelope.





Read More Blog Articles