12. How do I qualify for individual rehabilitation?
Persons who are inadmissible on grounds of serious criminality cannot qualify for deemed rehabilitation; that is, simple passage of time after the completion of their sentence does not alone qualify them for rehabilitated status.
However, persons who fall under the serious criminality classification, as well as others who do not qualify for deemed rehabilitation, may still qualify under the individual rehabilitation category.
To qualify for individual rehabilitation, the person must:
- Wait five years after the completion of their sentence before applying; and
- Demonstrate that they have been rehabilitated and are no longer a risk for criminal activity. This may require demonstrating:
- A stable lifestyle
- Community ties
- Social and vocational skills
- That the criminal offence was an isolated event