Can a work permit be extended if it expires before the federal processing stage for permanent residence is complete?

Author: NEHA GANPAT NARAKE Webware |

To extend a work permit, the applicant would need to obtain a job offer from an employer. Such a job offer would be exempt from a Labour-Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) as the applicant has a CSQ. The applicant may then take the job offer and his or her CSQ to a Quebec Port of Entry to obtain a closed work permit for that employer. Applicants can only obtain a new or renewed work permit if they are currently residing in Quebec with a valid work permit. For a graduate applicant living in Quebec on a post-graduate work permit that will expire during the federal processing stage, the same applies. A post-graduate work permit cannot be extended beyond the length of the student’s period of study.

Read More Blog Articles