Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)

Author: NEHA GANPAT NARAKE Webware |

  • The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for people who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.


  • Required levels of English or French (CLB 5 equivalent to IELTS 5.0 )
  • Meet all job requirements for that skilled trade according to the NOC.
  • Have 2/5 years of full-time (or equivalent) work experience in a skilled trade before application.
  • Have an offer of full-time employment for at least 1 year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a provincial or territorial body
  • Plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

Full-time employment means that you have to work a total of at least 30 hours over a period of one week for two years in your skilled trade within the five years before you apply.

In Canada, provinces and territories issue certificates of qualification in the skilled trades. To get a certificate, the provincial or territorial trades authority must assess your training, trade experience and skills to decide if you are eligible to write an exam to be certified.

Read More Blog Articles