Permanent Residency in Canada

Canada Express Entry

Immigration Consultants in Toronto, ON

Express Entry is used to manage applications for permanent residence under these federal economic immigration programs:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
  • Quebec Skilled Workers Program
  • International Experience Class (IEC)
  • Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP)
  • PNP Pilot Programs

Federal Skilled Worker – The FSW category is prescribed as a class of persons who are skilled workers, who may become permanent residents on the basis of their ability to become economically established in Canada, and who intend to reside in a province other than Quebec.

Program Requirements

  1. Proof of language proficiency an overall IELTS 6 band.
  2. Foreign Educational Credential Assessed by one of the below:
    • Comparative Education Service: University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies.
    • International Credentials Assessment Service of Canada.
    • World Education Services.
  3. 1 year of continuous full-time (or equivalent) paid work experience within the last 10 years.

Work experience must be on the following categories of NOC 0, A,B

  • Category O (zero) — Managerial positions Examples: Manager of a restaurant, hotel, Manager in the field of the mining industry, etc.
  • Category A — Professions which require University Diploma Examples: Doctors, Architectures, University professors, Financial analytics,PR specialists, Marketing specialists.
  • Category B — Professions which require College Diploma or Trade Certificate Examples: chefs, electricians, cabinetmakers, carpenters, joiners.
  • The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for people who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.


  • Required levels of English or French (CLB 5 equivalent to IELTS 5.0 )
  • Meet all job requirements for that skilled trade according to the NOC.
  • Have 2/5 years of full-time (or equivalent) work experience in a skilled trade before application.
  • Have an offer of full-time employment for at least 1 year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a provincial or territorial body
  • Plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

Full-time employment means that you have to work a total of at least 30 hours over a period of one week for two years in your skilled trade within the five years before you apply.

In Canada, provinces and territories issue certificates of qualification in the skilled trades. To get a certificate, the provincial or territorial trades authority must assess your training, trade experience and skills to decide if you are eligible to write an exam to be certified.

  • For many international students, the Canadian Experience Class offers the fastest and most simple path to achieving permanent residence.

After graduation from a Canadian college or university, many international graduates are able to remain in the country on post-graduate work permits. If during this time, a graduate obtains at least one year of work in a skilled, professional or technical field, they may then become eligible to enter the Express Entry pool under the Canadian Experience Class.

Canadian Experienced Class program is also ideal for temporary workers who have already integrated into Canadian society and obtained Canadian work experience.


  • Proof of language proficiency CLB 7, equivalent to IELTS 6.0 for NOC 0 , A or CLB5 for NOC B
  • Education Credential Assessment (preferred).
  • 12 months of full-time work experience in Canada with the proper authorization.
  • Work experience must be gained after graduation in case of students.
  • Plan to live outside of the province Quebec.

It is important to know that applicants under CEC can remain in Canada throughout the application process.

However, CEC is also open to individuals who are no longer in Canada, provided that they submit their application within three years of leaving their job in Canada.

Quebec has a special agreement with the Government of Canada on immigration. The province has its own rules for choosing immigrants who will adapt well to living there.

To apply as a skilled worker in Quebec, you must:

  • Apply to the Quebec government for a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ), then
  • Apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to become a permanent resident of Canada.

Follow these steps to apply:

  • Get a Quebec Certificate of Selection
  • Get the application package
  • Pay your application fees
  • Submit your application

Working Holiday category of the International Experience Class program

If you are 35 (30 for some countries) years of age or younger and a citizen of one of the 36 countries with which Canada has bilateral agreements, you are likely eligible for the Working Holiday category of the International Experience Class ("IEC"). This category has been designed for youths who intend to travel in Canada and who wish to find temporary employment. Under this program, youths can obtain an initial 12 to 24 month open work permit. An open work permit allows the holder to work anywhere in Canada for almost any Canadian employer.

This category of work permit has been designed for individuals who:

  • do not have a job offer;
  • want to work for more than one employer in Canada;
  • want to work in more than one location; and/or
  • want to earn more so they can travel.


To be eligible for the Working Holiday category, you must:

  • be a citizen of one of the 36 countries,
  • have a valid passport for the duration of your stay in Canada
  • be between the ages of 18 and 30/35 (inclusive),
  • have a minimum of CAN$2,500 to help cover your expenses in Canada,
  • have health insurance for the duration of your stay—you may have to present evidence of this insurance when you enter Canada,
  • have, before departure, a round-trip ticket or demonstrate that you will have the financial resources to purchase a departure ticket at the end of your authorized stay in Canada, and
  • pay the fees.

After the introduction of a federal system of selection of candidates for permanent residency Express Entry from January 1, 2015, some provinces and territories of Canada modified their Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs- candidate of the province) by submitting EOI system – Expression of Interest.

What is the Expression of Interest?

Candidates who meet the requirements of a specific immigration category and who are interested in immigrating to one of these provinces are asked to fill out a special online form – to justify the choice of this particular province (Expression of interest). The applicant’s interest Province assesses the choice usually by charging a certain amount of points, and then be prompted to file an application for a residence permit to candidates who successfully able to integrate in the province. Thus, the provinces have the ability to quickly and effectively treat the candidate’s statements. Candidates who are in the total pool have an opportunity to receive an additional 600 points if they are nominated by a province.

Your Steps

  • Justify the choice of province – Submit an Expression of Interest
  • Get Invitation to the submission of an application for a residence permit
  • Send a request for a residence permit in the selected province
  • Send Province Nomination from selected provinces in the IRCC (Immigration and Refugee Citizenship Canada) which gives the right to obtain permanent resident status in Canada (residence permit).]


The Atlantic Immigration Pilot is a fast-track immigration program that allows employers in Canada's four Atlantic provinces — Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador and Prince Edward Island — to hire foreign nationals for jobs they haven’t been able to fill locally.

The Atlantic Immigration Pilot is an employer-driven program that facilitates the hiring of foreign workers. All principal applicants arriving in Canada under the pilot program must have a job offer from a designated employer and an individualized settlement plan for themselves and their family.

Once a designated employer finds a candidate who meets their employment needs and the program criteria, that employer will need to first offer them a job. Employers do not need to go through the process of obtaining a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) under this program.

Once the candidate has accepted the job, the employer will connect the candidate with a designated settlement service provider organization for a needs assessment and to develop a settlement plan. Employers will also support the long-term integration of the new immigrant and his or her family, if applicable, so they can reach the goals of their settlement plan once they arrive in Canada.

Employers that need to fill a job vacancy quickly will have access to a temporary work permit, so that the candidate and his or her family can come to Canada as soon as possible. In order to obtain this work permit, candidates will need:

  • a valid job offer;
  • a letter from the province; and
  • a commitment to apply for permanent residence within 90 days of the temporary work permit application.


Through the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot, the Government of Canada works with small and remote communities in Ontario, Western Canada and the three territories to attract and retain foreign workers.

Eligibility Requirements for candidates

In order to be considered for the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot Program (RNIP), potential candidates must meet the following criteria:

  • Have a recommendation from one of the designated communities
  • Have one year of continuous work experience in the past three years (a minimum of 1,560 hours)


have graduated from a publicly funded post-secondary institution in the recommending community

  • Have a genuine job offer to work in one of the designated communities
  • Meet the language threshold for the NOC skill type/level of the job being offered
  • Have sufficient funds to settle and support themselves and their family in the community
  • Have an intention to live in the community

Community Recommendation

A community recommendation is based on the candidate’s:

  • intention to live in the designated community
  • job offer and the community’s economic needs
  • work experience and skills
  • ties to the community

Recommendations are made by a designated community economic development organization.


Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot
You may be able to apply for permanent residence through the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot program if you:

  • meet the eligibility requirements, and
  • have a job offer to work in one of these occupations

Through these pilots, you’ll get an open work permit to come to Canada and work temporarily. This work permit:

  • is occupation-restricted (so you have to work in that specific occupation)
  • doesn’t need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
  • Get the work experience you need to be eligible for permanent residence

If you recently worked as a home child care provider or support worker, your experience may count towards your eligibility for permanent residence.